Saturday, September 17, 2011

Peach Time


Being that peach season is nearing its close, I made my trek to Michigan for some of the lovely fruit. This year I decided a camping trip was necessary to add to my journey. Sitting around a camp fire as a light evening chill falls upon me, watching the flames dance as they do. Too bad I forgot my vegan marshmallows! Oh well, next time.




My favorite picking place is in Sodus, MI. It is a nice drive up to Sodus- living in a city it is easy to forget how nice the countryside can be.



After picking a 1/2 bushel of peaches, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to stop at the various wineries in the area. One of the staple go-tos is Round Barn. They were having their harvest festival with music and such to celebrate another good year.


 
I am not a fan of Michigan's red wines, however, its white wines are quite pleasant. I think it has something to do with the temperature in Michigan. It feels like Germany and I have yet to find a good German red, but the whites are lovely. The Kerners, Gewurztraminers, Rieslings, Traminettes, oh my!
Then again, what do I know about grapes? I have yet to add vigneron to my list of things to try. I think I will stay on the tasting side rather than the growing side for now. Cheers!




At the end of the day, daydreaming of what to do with all of my peaches, I headed back home. Peach jam... canned peaches... peach pie... so many options!