Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Journey to Yourself

As I have mentioned before, I am doing some mental (and physical) house cleaning. Working through my own little crisis has opened me up to taking inventory of me and then reflecting on it. I think I am on to something. Regardless of what happens, at the end of this crisis I am sure I will be in a new place mentally (and definitely physically).



So here are my thoughts for the day:

Start becoming who you want to be. It may surprise you how long or short the journey will be. Restrictions are often self imposed due to fear of the unknown, fear of the possibility of other. Be prepared to proceed further than expected, be prepared to have set backs- both are helpful and teach patience, gratefulness and humility. I have come to understand how fleeting life, love, youth and friendship are, but that may be what makes them precious to us. Without the possibility of losing/gaining any of these, do they have value on their own? I am not so sure. I do not believe we savor moments as much as we do when we realize all can be lost. For example, once you decide to move to a new place, a new city, do you start to see the home you live, the city in which you reside in a different light? Do you start to appreciate the little quirks of the places, the specialness of every building, every encounter? I think the answer to this is a resounding yes.

I further believe that nothing we do matters and yet, all that we do matters- it just depends on the scope, the context, in which we are analyzing the action or thought. This is not a bad thing. In fact, I think it is good. It gives us a more balanced perspective on life and our role in it. It is all a journey. Sometimes we go it with someone, sometimes alone, but always with our past, present and future selves.