Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Fantasical Loves and other myths...

What makes love real? Do you have to see the person? touch the person?

Is it possible to be in love with the idea of love rather than the person? I believe this is possible. I would call the love with the idea of love (of the person) "fantasy love." I believe we see a lot of that these days. People falling in love with thoughts of another person rather than the person him/herself. I would say Internet relationships fall into this category. Without knowing the real person, the everyday person, how do you know who it is that you love? It is similar to "falling in love" with an actor or musician. The person provided in the glitz and glamour of the big screen can be wonderful, but that does not convey the real person. I am not saying that the person may not have a beautiful soul, body and mind, but I am saying that it is impossible to know if you are not around that person. If you cannot and do not experience their physical presence. The intimate quirkiness that each of us has.

If I had to choose between the two, I would want real love. The solid concrete love, the kind that binds you to another. It may not be flashy, but it is real and good. Fantasy love is great for the highs it can provide, but it seems to be empty and shallow. It lacks the depth that real love can produce. I want someone to love me, my faults and all. I do not ever want to be placed on a pedestal, the fall is much to great.  The fantasy love can burn big and bright, but dies.

For me, I want the "love me even in my old ratty sweatpants" love. I find that to be romantic. I also find that to be the love that lasts.