Thursday, April 7, 2011

Lessons of Love

Recently on a flight home, I was seated next to a couple. Their interactions spoke of what love is, or should be. They were older, each seeming to know the other quite well. They shared their meals, quietly exchanging sweetnesses. She thoughtfully stored his newspaper after he had finished patiently explaining the art of Sudoku to her; he readjusted her blanket making sure she was comfortable as the plane was chilly.


Each touch, word to the other, seemed so tender. There didn’t seem to be any indifference in their exchange, only kindness and consideration for the other. In a word, respect- something that many relationships lack. Respect is lost in the shuffle of everyday life along with the necessity of intimacy and small niceties that can make all the difference.

I found their exchange very refreshing. I am so often exposed to love gone wrong rather than love in good form. By sitting next to me, they gave me a gift, reminding me that love in its true form does exist. I do not know their past and the struggles they've encountered to arrive at this place, but still, they arrived. They seemed to exude a love that isn’t loud and flashy, but instead patient and simple. May we all have that kind of love and share it the best we can.